Connect at Central (Connect)- is an all-new, 12,800 square foot digital experience made possible by a Federal Broadband Technology Opportunity Program (BTOP) grant. This 1.5 million grant project enabled us to make technology and broadband enhancement projects possible at 13 branch libraries as well as build the Connect Center at the Central Library.
Types of Classes
There are four types of classes we offer:
Back to Basics: introducing technology classes tailored to your specific need, like Resume Writing for Job Seekers.
eReader U: Need help with your eReader, or using the library's digital downloads services? Bring your device for a session with the library's digital experts. Click on the eReader Tab to see the dates/times available for personal eReader U Tutoring, and to learn more about the world of mobile devices.
Life and Learning Skills: how can the library improve your life? From online tutoring to finding a job through the Library's Job & Small Business Center, we got you covered.
21st Century Tech Skills: everything's going online, are you ready? From online maps to social media, we'll help build your skill set for the digital age.
Welcome to Training
Welcome to Connect at Central: we opened on August 22nd.
We encourage you to explore our upcoming weekly public classes and tutorials and get to know the library and online resources better. We offer a collaborative environment where we can teach each other how to use new tools and gain online experience.
Connect Training will offer:
- Staff experienced in online teaching and learning.
- Innovative classes for beginners and the digitally driven.
- A training center of 24 computers & a projector.
- Headsets for specific classes.
Connect at Central will have:
- Increased Wi-Fi capacity and a tech lounge area.
- A lab of 80 public desktop computers
- 15 laptops for checkout within the Library.
- A "technology test drive" component with iPads that support digital literacy, emerging technologies and showcase the Library's digital collection of 35,000 items available for download and checkout.
- 18 new iMacs and furniture upgrades for the adjacent Teen Services Department.
- A full remodel into a lounge-style space.
- Digital screens and signage for special showings.
Calendar of Upcoming Classes
We love to share. Connect at Central by taking a free technology class and share ideas and information with your classmates. Click on the eReader tab for more information about e Reader U tutoring at our library branches.
Getting to Class
Before you begin a computer class, please fill out a brief pre-class survey.
Your class will be at least 30 minutes long, and will be followed by lab practice or a Q & A session.