Need assistance in Spanish? Call the ACA Navigator Helpline at 210-362-5254.
Questions about the Marketplace for employers with 50 employees or less:
Appointments for Market Place Navigator assistance can be made by calling:
Or toll free: 1-800-960-5201
CMS (Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Services)
The Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Services (CMS) announced today a special enrollment period (SEP) for individuals and families who did not have health coverage in 2014 and are subject to the fee or “shared responsibility payment” when they file their 2014 taxes in states which use the Federally-facilitated Marketplaces (FFM). This special enrollment period will allow those individuals and families who were unaware or didn’t understand the implications of this new requirement to enroll in 2015 health insurance coverage through the FFM.
For those who were unaware or didn’t understand the implications of the fee for not enrolling in coverage, CMS will provide consumers with an opportunity to purchase health insurance coverage from March 15 to April 30. If consumers do not purchase coverage for 2015 during this special enrollment period, they may have to pay a fee when they file their 2015 income taxes.
Those eligible for this special enrollment period live in states with a Federally-facilitated Marketplace and:
- Currently are not enrolled in coverage through the FFM for 2015,
- Attest that when they filed their 2014 tax return they paid the fee for not having health coverage in 2014, and
- Attest that they first became aware of, or understood the implications of, the Shared Responsibility Payment after the end of open enrollment (February 15, 2015) in connection with preparing their 2014 taxes.
The special enrollment period announced today will begin on March 15, 2015 and end at 11:59 pm E.S.T. on April 30, 2015. If a consumer enrolls in coverage before the 15th of the month, coverage will be effective on the first day of the following month.
This year’s tax season is the first time individuals and families will be asked to provide basic information regarding their health coverage on their tax returns. Individuals who could not afford coverage or met other conditions may be eligible to receive an exemption for 2014. To help consumers who did not have insurance last year determine if they qualify for an exemption, CMS also launched a health coverage tax exemption tool today on HealthCare.gov and CuidadodeSalud.gov.
Consumers seeking to take advantage of the special enrollment period can find out if they are eligible by visiting https://www.healthcare.gov/get-coverage Consumers can find local help at: Localhelp.healthcare.gov or call the Federally-facilitated Marketplace Call Center at 1-800-318-2596. TTY users should call 1-855-889-4325. Assistance is available in 150 languages. The call is free.
The Cody library will be one of the sites for the special enrollment period:
11441 Vance Jackson
Beginning Tuesday, March 17th then every Tuesday from 12:00-7:00.
Baptist Health System assistance
The Baptist Health System is also offering assistance:
Information on Baptist Health System’s (BHS) initiative to help consumers enroll in an Affordable Care Act (ACA) health insurance plan can be directed to the following webpage: www.pathtohealth.com
To schedule an ACA appointment with a BHS Certified Application Counselor (CAC), please contact our centralized scheduling department at (210)619-8800, option 1. During an ACA appointment, a BHS CAC will assist the consumer with an online application from beginning to end.
The most important sites to remember.
Key Dates to Remember:
- November 15, 2014. Open Enrollment begins. Apply for, keep, or change your coverage.
- December 15, 2014. Enroll by the 15th if you want new coverage that begins on January 1, 2015. If your plan is changing or you want to change plans, enroll by the 15th to avoid a lapse in coverage.
- December 31, 2014. Coverage ends for 2014 plans. Coverage for 2015 plans can start as soon as January 1st.
- February 15, 2015. This is the last day you can apply for 2015 coverage before the end of Open Enrollment.