To view or download a PDF of the plan and its appendices, click on the link below.
Strategic Plan Update Accepted
October 28, 2015
Library Board-accepted the updated Strategic Plan for 2016-2018
Library Strategic Plan Overview
This updated Plan is intended to be used as a dynamic tool in making key decisions. It is designed to position the Library as a responsive and relevant public service organization that is essential to the success of the community.
The San Antonio Public Library plays a critical role in the quality of life and continued growth of San Antonio. As the City’s educational arm, the library system is directly tied to our collective goals of business recruitment and economic development; community and neighborhood revitalization; and literacy and educational achievement. The San Antonio Public Library understands its important role and desires to be a relevant service organization by anticipating the future and adapting accordingly so the Library can continue to be a responsive service organization.
Strategic Plan Update - Process
The process to update the Strategic Plan encompassed the following:
- Develop a commitee to review and update the Mission, Vision, Values and Areas of Strategic Focus in the 2011-2016 Strategic Plan
- Online survey questions with staff as part of Organizational Health Survey,
- Online survey questions with Board of Trustees, Foundation Board, and Friends of the San Antonio Public Library Board
- Patron survey
- Creation of work groups to update the strategic priorities for each area of strategic focus
The three ares of Strategic Focus are:
- Support Educational and Learning Opportunities
- Support Workforce and Economic Prosperity
- Foster Community Connections
Strategic Plan Work Groups
Forty staff members from throughout the organization made a commitment to actively participate in the work groups. Work group participants met multiple times during 2015 to update strategies and action plans to address their designated area of focus.