Antique and Art Collecting
Is something collectible, a family treasure, or both? Antique and Art collecting depends on having a buyer and a seller willing to agree on a price.
While the library doesn't do appraisals, the following resources may be helpful in doing your own research at the library.
Whether you're searching the catalog or meeting with an appraiser, the first step is to figure out what you have. Here are some considerations:
1) What is it made of? (glass, silver, etc)
2) Is it from a particular region or country?
3) Does it have a brand (Matel Toys) or signature/mark on it?
4) How old is it? (Victorian or 1960s)
5) Do you have a bill of sale or certificate of authenticity?
Check out our Magazine databases for interesting articles on the world of collectibles. Choose antiques in a publication search for targeted results.
The following web sites provide detailed information about antique and art collecting.