1. Recycle! Find out what items you can recycle and where you can recycle in your area.
2. Use a reusable water bottle and avoid plastic straws.
3. Use a reusable bag for groceries and other items for which you would usually use a plastic bag.
4. Turn it off! Turn of the water when brushing your teeth and turn off lights when you leave a room.
5. Use both sides of your paper.
6. Ride your bike or walk whenever you can.
Check out these books for some earth-friendly inspiration!
How To Books
Fortnite Loot Pinata Bookmark
Program By: Miss Monica
Hi friends, it's Miss Monica again and today I wanted to share with you how to make a Fortnite Loot Pinata bookmark! They make pretty awesome AND useful gifts that you and your friends can show off everywhere. Use it as a bookmark, hang on your wall, or put them on your binder : )
Step 1: Gather your supplies!
Step 2: Cut out a rectangular "bookmark" shape. Pro Tip: Cut two out to help you measure tissue paper strips later on.
Step 3: Grab your tissue paper and place your two bookmarks like I did in the picture. This will help you when you cut your tissue paper strips.
Step 4: Cut out the tissue paper strips like I did below. (I have a special gradient tissue paper, but you can use any single color paper too!)
Step 5: Make little cuts along the edges of your strips to create that pinata effect.
Step 6: (Pro Tip: Start at the bottom of your bookmark!) Put a little bit of glue and center the middle of the strip on your bookmark. There should be flaps to either side. Turn the bookmark over and then glue both flaps in the back.
Step 7: Keep on sticking the strips until you nearly reach the top. Once you get about 1 inch from the top, cut another strip. Do NOT cut it up. You're going to paste these trips to the top of the bookmark to create the llama's "head."
Step 8: Next, we're going to make the llama's harness and eye. For the harness, cut out to small strips of born cardstock like you see in the picture. Use the glue to glue it onto your llama bookmark like in the picture below. For the eye, cut out a circle from the white cardstock. Use a pen or marker to dot it in the middle. Paste onto your bookmark.
Step 9: Now, you can leave the bookmark as is, OR you can go the extra mile and make the llama's ear! To do this, cut out the shape in the picture below, and simply use some glue and tissue paper to cover the ear. Glue the ear to the back of the bookmark (Pro Tip: Let the ear dry for about 30 mins to 1hr so that it can securely stick to the bookmark).
Step 10: Voila! Enjoy your bookmark! If you've got the time, try different color variations. Got a best friend? Make them a bookmark with their favorite colors : )
Origami is the art of Japanese folding. Watch below as Ms. Teague makes an easy origami dog and then follow the instructions to make your own dog!
Origami Simulator allows you to simulate what any origami fold will look like. It's mesmerizing to watch!
Un-Valentine's Day Minecraft Keychain DIY
Program By: Miss Monica
Hello friends! This is miss Monica and I wanted to invite you guys to make an awesome Minecraft keychain with me. Whether you're gonna be gifting it to someone you <3 for v-day OR just wanting to do something nice for someone OR you simply want to treat yo'self, read on. I look forward to crafting with y'all.
UPDATE: Okay, so there's a pretty crazy winter storm out there and I hope you're all staying safe and warm. What this winter storm means is that the library has been closed, and so you haven't been able to pick up your craft kits. Don't worry, we'll keep them for you a while longer. If you call the library where it's supposed to be and it's no longer there, don't worry, I can send it right back for you to pick up. Those who were able to get the kits were emailed.
If you liked that video, you may also want to check out the books below! There are books for those of you who like the 8-bit style, those of you who love Minecraft AND cooking, and then there are some books that may interest those of you who are just starting out your Minecraft adventure and need some pointers. Alright crew, this is Miss Monica, signing out!
This is a cooking challenge you can follow along with at home! Join SAPL librarian Miss Cari and friends as she is challenged with making a dish out of random items.
Pom Pom Penguins!
Program by: Miss Valerie
There are so many cool DIYs with yarn out there, and pompom critters are some of the cutest! Here’s how to make your own pompom penguin buddy.
Pompom makers or cardboard to make your own
Black yarn (about 15 yards plus 8 inches)
White yarn (about 5 yarns)
Pipe cleaners, mini pompoms, felt, and any other decorative element you want to use
(Optional pre-step): If you do not have a pompom maker, you can create your own with cardboard. Draw circle about 2 inches in diameter. In the middle of that circle, draw another circle about ¾ inch in diameter. Cut out both the inner circle and outer circle. Cut out two of these rings to make your pompom maker.
2. Wrap about 5 yards of white yarn around the cardboard rings. Only cover half to two thirds of the ring with the white yarn. (Pro Tip: Wrap the yarn as tight as you can!)
3. Wrap the black yarn over the white yarn. You'll need about 15 yards of black yarn. Make sure it completely covers the entire ring. (Pro Tip: Keep wrapping the yarn tight, and try not to let the white yarn show through the layers of black!)
4. Take the ends of the yarn from the middle of your pompom maker and tie in a tight knot. (This will keep your pompom from coming apart when you cut it open.) Hold the ends in one hand and cut the yarn loops along the outer edge of the ring. (Pro Tip: Take it nice and slow. Cut a few loops at a time.)
5. YOU WILL WANT TO DO THIS STOP OVER A TRASH CAN! Remove the cardboard ring and fluff out your pompom. It will be uneven with some yarn strands longer than others. Take your scissors and start cutting off the ends to shape your pompom. Cut off as much or as little as you want. (Pro Tip: Fluff out your pompom every so often to get rid of the fuzz and expose any remaining long strands.)
6. Once you're happy with the shape of your pompom, you can decorate it! You can use felt for feet and a beak. Pipe cleaners and mini pompoms make good earmuffs too.