About the Young Pegasus Competition
For more than 80 years, the San Antonio Public Library has celebrated the talents of the city’s young writers with the Young Pegasus Poetry Competition.
Open to poets 18 and under, the Young Pegasus Poetry Competition invites poets to submit their work, which is then reviewed by a panel of independent judges.
The judges do not select a set number of winners. Instead, any poem submitted that is deemed worthy of publication is printed in the Young Pegasus Anthology.
Selected poets are invited to attend an awards ceremony in the spring where they receive an award certificate and a copy of the year's anthology in which their work appears.
The selected poems are read aloud during the ceremony, either by the poets themselves or a member of the judging panel.
For additional information on the Young Pegasus Competition, please contact:
Viki Ash, Children's Services Coordinator
San Antonio Public Library
A panel of seven judges will read, discuss and debate all the poems that are submitted to the competition. As they perform their duties, the judges have no information that identifies the poets. Their decisions are made solely on the quality of the poems themselves.
Any poem the judges deem "worthy of publication" will be included in the 2015 Young Pegasus Anthology.
2015 Young Pegasus Judges
- Anthony Flores
- Fernando Flores
- Esperanza Garza-Danweber
- Kalia Glover
- Jane Focht-Hansen
- James Rossignol
- Xelena Gonzalez
Young Pegasus 2015
Poems accepted September 15 through December 15, 2014.
2015 Time Line
- September 15 through December 15, 2014: Young Poets can submit their work online or in hard copy at any branch library or via surface mail to the Central Library, 600 Soledad, San Antonio, TX 78205 ATTN: Young Pegasus.
- December 16, 2014 through January 5 , 2015: Poetry Packets (arranged by age group) prepared and delivered to the judges.
- January through February 2015: Judges read, discuss and debate submitted poems.
- March 2015: Judges complete their work, submit list of selected poems to the library.
- March 2015: All selected poems screened for plagiarism.
- March 9, 2015: Letters sent to selected poets along with publishing release form and printer's proof showing how the poem will appear in the 2014 Young Pegasus Anthology.
- March 23, 2015: Release forms and editorial corrections due from selected poets.
- April 2015: Final camera-ready copy of the Anthology prepared for printing and binding.
- April 10, 2015: Thank you letters sent to poets who were not selected for publication.
- April 2015: Invitations to the Young Pegasus Awards Ceremony are mailed to winning poets, judges and local dignitaries.
- May 3, 2015: Young Pegasus Awards Ceremony. 2:00 pm at the Hermann Sons Grand Lodge, 515 S. St. Mary's.(tentative)