About the Young Pegasus Competition
For more than 80 years, the San Antonio Public Library has celebrated the talents of the city’s young writers with the Young Pegasus Poetry Competition.
Open to poets 18 and under, the Young Pegasus Poetry Competition invites poets to submit their work, which is then reviewed by a panel of independent judges.
The judges do not select a set number of winners. Instead, any poem submitted that is deemed worthy of publication is printed in the Young Pegasus Anthology.
Selected poets are invited to attend an awards ceremony in the spring where they receive an award certificate and a copy of the year's anthology in which their work appears.
The selected poems are read aloud during the ceremony, either by the poets themselves or a member of the judging panel.
For additional information on the Young Pegasus Competition, please contact:
Viki Ash, Children's Services Coordinator
San Antonio Public Library
A panel of seven judges will read, discuss and debate all the poems that are submitted to the competition. As they perform their duties, the judges have no information that identifies the poets. Their decisions are made solely on the quality of the poems themselves.
Any poem the judges deem "worthy of publication" will be included in the 2016 Young Pegasus Anthology.
2016 Young Pegasus Judges
- Erica DeLaRosa
- Anthony Flores
- Fernando Flores
- Jane Focht-Hansen
- Esperanza Garza-Danweber
- Kalia Glover
- James Rossignol
Young Pegasus 2016
Poems accepted September 15 through December 15, 2015.
2016 Time Line
- September 15 through December 15, 2015: Young Poets can submit their work online or in hard copy at any branch library or via surface mail to the Central Library, 600 Soledad, San Antonio, TX 78205 ATTN: Young Pegasus.
- December 16, 2015 through January 5, 2016: Poetry Packets (arranged by age group) prepared and delivered to the judges.
- January through Mid February 2016: Judges read, discuss and debate submitted poems.
- February 18, 2016: Judges complete their work, submit list of selected poems to the library.
- February 22 - 25, 2016: All selected poems screened for plagiarism.
- February 29 - March 4, 2016: Letters sent to selected poets along with publishing release form and printer's proof showing how the poem will appear in the 2016 Young Pegasus Anthology.
- March 18, 2016: Release forms and editorial corrections due from selected poets.
- April 2016: Final camera-ready copy of the Anthology prepared for printing and binding.
- April 2016: Letters sent to poets who were not selected for publication acknowledging their entries and thanking them for their participation.
- April 2016: Invitations to the Young Pegasus Awards Ceremony are mailed to winning poets, judges and local dignitaries.
- May 2016: Young Pegasus Awards Ceremony. Date, time, location to be determined